Governors of South-East reject Boko Haram detainees in Anambra

    . ACF urges military to smoke out insurgents


As tension heightens over the reloca­tion of some Boko Haram suspects to Ekwulobia Prisons in Anambra State, South- East governors have ap­pealed to the Federal Government to reconsider the relocation of the sus­pects to Abuja which they considered more secured. This is even as the Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) urged the military to smoke out the insurgents.

Addressing journal­ists yesterday at the Govern­ment House, Owerri, Imo State after the meeting of the governors, Imo State Gover­nor, Rochas Okorocha said the governors considering the protests and tension the relo­cation of some Boko Haram suspects had been generating are appealing to the Federal Government to reconsider its decision of relocating the de­tainees to Abuja which would be a more secured place than the South-East.

“South-East is part of Ni­geria and the people of the zone also share in the pains of our brothers and sisters in the North-East, who have been under severe attacks from Boko Haram insurgents. But we are appealing to the Fed­eral Government to recon­sider its decision of detaining some of the suspects, as their presence is already generating tension.

“We sincerely believe that the best place to detain the suspects should be in Abuja which is more secured than in the South-East and their relocation will definitely calm down rising tension in the zone”.

Similarly, the governors also appealed to the Federal Government to rehabilitate from the zone those who were also victims of Boko Haram and that whatever relief being considered for other victims should also be extended to them .

Meanwhile, worried over the perennial bombings and killings by Boko Haram in the North-East, Arewa Consulta­tive Forum (ACF) has tasked the military and other security agencies to smoke them out.

“ACF therefore, calls on the security agencies to em­ploy new strategy and intel­ligence gathering and smoke out these terrorists from their enclaves and hideouts”.

In a statement issued yes­terday by the National Pub­licity Secretary, Muhammad Ibrahim, noted that “the JTF should deploy more troops in the affected states to not only repel terrorists’ attacks but go after them. With the adequate supply of equipment and other logistic support to the military, Nigerians expect to see more offensive against the terrorists.

“ACF equally urges the communities to cooperate with the security agencies in the area of intelligence gath­ering.

“ACF extends its condo­lences to the families of the innocent souls killed in the dastardly acts of the terrorists and the people and govern­ments of the affected states.

“The effort of President Buhari therefore needs to be translated into action by our frontline soldiers and other security agencies to put an end to this daily colossal loss of innocent lives.

“The recent collaborative effort of the states of Niger, Kaduna, Katsina, Kebbi, So­koto and Zamfara to form a joint security task force to combat the insecurity that has bedeviled the zone should ur­gently be addressed to check the frequent attacks and kill­ing of innocent people in their sleep,” the ACF said.

Source: Sun

Publish Date: 

Monday, 6 July 2015